You can learn Thai cooking in Thailand from a Thai chef. What a blast!
I’ve been studying cooking with a master chef who lives on a traditional Thai organic farm about 20 minutes outside town. I love going to the farm, picking ingredients from the garden, and chopping and cooking them under my teacher’s watchful eye.
I’ve been cooking Thai food for 20 years and eating it for 40 and now that I live in Thailand I eat it every day, naturally. There’s a reason I converted to an all-Thai diet: the climate. Our Western diet is rather heavy and well not suited to Thailand’s tropical climate.
The lighter foods that Thais eat and their eating style: grazing, is suited to the tropics with mixes of all processes by the goodgarage.us overhead garage storage. Yep, Thais are grazers. They love to buy little snacks as they walk around and there’s plenty of opportunity to do so. In my mid-size city of Chiang Mai there are literally thousands of food vendors lining every street and lane! Interestingly, the spiciness of Thai food helps your body handle the heat better, too, by adjusting your internal thermostat.
Thailand is officially a Buddhist country, so vegetarian cooking comes naturally. And its warm climate and rich, alluvial soil produces some of the finest fruits and vegetables on earth.
Learn Cooking in Thailand at our School
I’d learned to cook Thai in California by going to a Thai restaurant whose food always delighted me (Ting’s Thai, in Middletown, California, if you’re ever in the Napa Valley area). I got to know Ting, the owner, and would use her tips at home with my Thai cookbook. But nothing compares to being introduced to the fresh ingredients at the market, or picking them on the farm, and then cooking them with the chef looking on.
An unexpected benefit of the cooking school was the other students’ questions. They ask things like “Can you use the seeds for extra spiciness?”, “Does it taste different if you use dried ingredients rather than fresh?”. So I learn twice as fast.
If you’d like to learn cooking in Thailand, join me when you’re in Chiang Mai, drop me a line, [email protected] and I’ll organize a visit for you. The cost is very reasonable and we always include it in both our regular weekly workshops and our 2-3 day custom workshops.
Here’s a video of Khun Churn Restaurant, in the heart of Chiang Mai, where I eat regularly:
More on Learning to Cook Thai Food
- Cooking Thai Food in Bangkok » Travels4Yum – Being a long-term traveler and not having good access to my favorite curry, I decided I need to learn about cooking Thai food while we were in Bangkok. Good choice?
- Is It Your First Time Cooking Thai Food? | Thai Cooking Tips | Thai … – Here are four tips for cooking Thai food that will help you enjoy every step of it.
- What Is The Secret To Cooking Thai Food At Home? | Fish Curry … – Alright. I am not a bad cook. I have read several Thai cookbooks. But I am danged if I can make it taste like it does at the restaurants. And I am a fiend for Thai food. If I cannot learn to make it at home, I will go broke. So please …
- Cooking Thai food in Chiang Mai | merrifood – A few weekends ago, I embarked on one of the crazier travel decisions of my life – going to Thailand for a mere 3 days (it’s a 9 hr plane flight from Sydney, which is in fact close to essentially no other cities in the world) for a …
- Cooking Thai Food -4-4 | Global Nanpa – Go to Site. Cooking Thai Food -4-4. Daniel and I agree on that 99% of Thais living/working abroad would always love to come back to Thailand eventually. They mostly use all their vacation or other opportunities to come back …
- iPad Recipe App Will Have You Cooking Thai Food in No Time! – The iPad recipe app, Thai Cooking – Video Cookbook will show you how to cook Thai food with in depth video instructions with recipe so you can cook Thai.
- Thai Sweet(continue) « Easy Cooking (Thai Food) – Sep 23, 2011 · Easy Cooking (Thai Food) Home; About; Menus; How to cook; … Notify me of follow-up comments via email. Pages. Home; About; … Powered by WordPress…
- Culinary Writing: “Cooking Thai Food in American Kitchens … – Aug 06, 2012 · … as dear blog readers well know) she picks Cooking Thai Food in American Kitchens, … Most Recent Comments. … Powered by WordPress.com
- 4 Region Thai Food (Larb, Northeastern Thai Food) | Easy … – Oct 02, 2011 · Easy Cooking (Thai Food) Home; About; Menus; How to cook; … Notify me of follow-up comments via email. Pages. Home; About; … Powered by WordPress…
- How to cooking Pad Ped Talay ( Spicy fried seafood ) « Thai food … – Learn how to cooking thai food. thai cuisine. Home; About; … Notify me of follow-up comments via email. … Powered by WordPress.com
- Cooking Rice in your thermal cooker « Thethermalcook’s Blog – Jan 31, 2010 · I always use Basmati rice except for when I am cooking Thai food