Chiang Mai a UNESCO Site?
Chiang Mai’s 800-year-old, moated Old City has begun to consider applying for UNESCO World Heritage listing as a registered UNESCO Site.
Chiang Mai University’s Faculty of Fine Arts will host a seminar “Chiang Mai and the Road to UNESCO World Heritage Listing ” in Bangkok on 13 September to share opinions and develop contingency plans for the city of Chiang Mai if it were on UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
The forum, at the Wang Na Theatre in Bangkok, will brainstorm a bid to include the Chiang Mai city area (‘old town’) on UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
Anek Sihamart, Director-General of the Fine Arts Department, said the the proposal, “Monuments, Sites and Cultural Landscape of Chiang Mai, Capital of Lanna” would be submitted to UNESCO after the department conducted a study on the provincial government’s readiness and the local people’s enthusiasm for the changes that would be required.
Old Chiang Mai eassily meets UNESCO’s four selection criteria
- important interchange of human values and
- exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition.
If Chiang Mai is approved by UNESCO as a Heritage site, it will be the fourth UNESCO Cultural World Heritage Site in Thailand.
Here’s another Thai UNESCO site you might consider visiting…
Read More about Chiang Mai as a Thailand UNESCO Site
- NCPTT | John Asmus on Laser Cleaning “Have Laser Will … – Her name was Giulia Musumeci and she was employed by UNESCO and the Venice Imperil Fund, and she was trying to do what she could to save these marble statues of Venice. She pointed out to us that cleaning the …
- Ban Chiang: Thailand’s most underrated UNESCO World Heritage … – Tough sell. This might explain why Ban Chiang — despite being a UNESCO World Heritage Site that’s considered the most important prehistoric settlement ever discovered in northeast Thailand’s Udon Thani province — isn’t up there with the ancient kingdom of Sukhothai when it comes to hot tourist attractions. … Udon Thani’s airport services domestic flights from several cities including Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket. To book seats, check out Nok Air, Air Asia or …
- mffun Chiang Mai Tourism association supports bid for UNESCO … – mffun my private feeds Chiang Mai Tourism association supports bid for UNESCO World Heritage listing – Thailand National News Bureau.
- UNESCO-UNDP Report Highlights Culture, Creative Sector … – For example, by building on the city’s cultural assets, the Chiang Mai Creative City (CMCC) Initiative in Thailand aims to make Chiang Mai an attractive city in which to invest, live and work. The report also features Argentina’s …
- Chiang Mai – Unesco City of Crafts & Folk Art | 751444 & 751446 … – CHIANG MAI – UNESCO CITY OF CRAFTS & FOLK ART On July 17 there were seminars. Thailand would like to nominate Unesco. Listed as a world cultural heritage can offer two types is offer limited just only Chiang Mai or …
- Squidoo : Welcome to Squidoo – Squidoo. The popular (free) site for creating single webpages on your interests and recommendations. Even earn money for charity or yourself.